Wednesday October 18, 2017

Minutes

MINUTES OF THE MARLOTHII CONSERVANCY MEETING HELD IN THE BOARDROOM OF HENK VAN ROOYEN ON TUESDAY 26 SEPTEMBER 2017 AT 09H00

 

PRESENT:

 

Executive:                                            Derrick Bruins-lich – Chairman                       

                                                              Jackie Flanagan – Secretary

                                                              Sanet Bruins-lich – PRO and Membership

                                                              Stuart Long – Gruispan

                                                              Errol Potgieter – Special Projects

                                                              Keith Knorr – Walks, Talks and Birding

                                                              Marilyn Dowie - Finances

                                                               

Members/Visitors:                             As per Attendance Register

 

1.                   WELCOME:

 

                Derrick welcomed all to the meeting and opened the Meeting in prayer.

 

2.                   APOLOGIES:

 

Dot Knorr

Thea Sander

Geoff Sander

Mike Hunter

Angie Hunter

Terry Ramsay

Trudy Ramsay

Noel Flanagan

               

3.                   MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:

 

3.1                Corrections:  Nil

3.2                Approval of Minutes:  The Minutes were approved by Sanet Bruins-lich and seconded byAlf Felgate.

 

4.                  MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES:

 

         Nil.

 

5.                  FINANCIAL REPORT:

5.1                Monthly Finance:

                     Marilyn Dowie reported that the finances are healthy.  There is about R40000 in the bank.

5.2                Apologies for delay in statements:

         Sanet apologized for the delay with the statements.  Sanet will also investigate a better rate at the bank.  The funds             are currently in a call account.  Mike Norton suggested depositing the funds into a money market account.  Capitec               has a better interest rate but the account has to be in an individual’s name and not in the name of the Conservancy.

 

 6.                 REPORT BACK FROM THE FORUM MEETING:

       There is nothing to report as there has been no Forum meeting.

 

7.                   REPORT BACK ON NATURE WALK – 16 SEPTEMBER 2017:

       Keith reported that about 10 people attended the Walk which now starts at 06h00. The next walk will be on

       21 October   2017.  Keith may be away but he has handed it over into responsible hands.  After a short discussion re         the time of the walk, it was decided that the time remain at 06h00. 

 

8.                  FEEDINGOF ANIMALS:

 

       A decision had been taken by the Committee to start feeding the animals with pellets from Alzu.  Geoff Sander will be         asked to store the feed at his place.  Anyone requiring a bag to please pay R100 to replace funds.  Obaro,         

       Komatipoort, will be approached for a better price of the feed.  Keith mentioned that Obaro must confirm in writing               that  the price will remain fixed for the next year. Mike Norton will bring up at the next MPPOA Meeting about the                 feeding of the animals in the parkland.  There are tyre marks all over the veld where feed has been driven in for the             animals.  These marks could remain for over 20 years.

       Jeanette Newey enquired as to what is happening about the culling of the animals and why is the interdict not being           opposed. Derrick asked Jeanette to raise that question on Saturday at the MPPOA Meeting.  Mike stated that                     MPPOA   is a lobby group and is limited to what they can do.

 

9.                   GRUISPAN:

 

        Stuart Long reported that the level of the dam is good and that a lot of reeds have sprung up. The electricity for the            pump is costing approximately R500 per month. This will reduce when we get big rain.  Two fever trees – donated by          Derrick – will be planted on the island at Gruispan after today’s meeting.

 

10.                ALIEN PLANTS:

 

       Errol Potgieter and Stuart Long had removed 60 Queen of the Night in Steenbok Street within 1,5 hours. Errol                     reported that about 10 Honorary Rangers in the south west corner of the Kruger Park had removed 1200 Queen of             the Night within 4 hours.  The herbicide they were using has been banned in Kruger and are using a new one which           is  under research. If there is a high concentration of Queen of the Night anywhere in Marloth Park, research will take         place there using the new herbicide.  Elroux Norton mentioned that there was a lot of Queen of the Night towards              Gate 1 near Wildgoose.

 

11.                FENCE AT BOTTOM OF CROCODILE AND VOLSTRUIS ROADS:

 

 

       Derrick has spoken to Alfas who has given the go-ahead to remove the fence.  He will also supply labourers to                   assist.   

                                                                                                                                                                         

12.             LETTER TO THE MUNICIPALITY RE DOG TO BE USED FOR ANTI-POACHING

 

The Municipality has agreed to a dog being trained and used for anti-poaching in Marloth. After discussion, Derrick stated that a letter will be written under the auspices of the Marlothii Conservancy to place on record their objection to the dog being in Marloth Park.

 

13.                WORKSHOP ON THE 4 OCTOBER WITH THE MUNICIPALITY:

 

There is supposed to be a workshop on the 4 October but Derrick was not sure whether this will materialize.  The overall topic of discussion is security.

 

14.          GENERAL:

 

  14.1         Stuart reported that the ostrich which had chased him – he and the female have reared 3 chicks.                                Unfortunately 1 drowned.

  14.2         Stuart has 2 x 5lt paint tins with lids.  Derrick asked him to please hold onto them until they are needed                      at Two Trees.

  14.3         Elroux informed the Meeting that MPPOA will be holding a tea for the elderly on Friday at 10h00.  A                            gentleman from the USA will talk on autism and Gail Fox will talk about the chimpanzees in Liberia.  At                      the next tea, Keith and Sanet will give a talk on conservancy.

 

15.                DATE OF NEXT MEETING AND CLOSE:

 

The next meeting will take place on 24 October 2017 at 09h00.

Comments (0)

500 characters remaining

Cancel or

Top f