Friday May 26, 2017

Minutes

Marlothii Conservancy

Minutes of the Meeting held at 09.00 on Tuesday, 20th September 2016, in the Boardroom at Henk van Rooyen Park, Marloth Park

Present:

Derrick. Bruins-Lich

Stuart Long

Chairman

Vice Chairman

 

Sanet Bruins-Lich

Temporary Secretary

 

 

Facebook & PRO

 

Keith Knorr

Walks & Talks

 

Dot Knorr

Membership

 

Geoff Sander

Special Projects

 

Thea Sander

Marilyn Dowie

Errol Potgieter

Special Projects

Treasurer

Entertainment

 

 

 

 

Mrs J. Newey

Nolan Spratt

Sarah Spratt

Llewellen Burger

Hume du Toit

Mel Fennell

Daleen Osche

 

 

                  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1.   Welcome:

The Chairman opened the meeting with a prayer.

 

The Chairman, Derrick Bruins-Lich announced that the Marlothii Conservancy previously was

registered as a Provincial Conservancy and are now a Nationally Registered Conservancy.   As

well as a NPO under the banner ofNACSA

 

2.   Apologies.

      

3.    Minutes of the previous meeting held on 23rd August, 2016.

3.1 Amendments to the minutes of 23rd August 2016. – None

 3.2 Acceptance of the minutes: Proposed: Thea Sander and Llewyllen Burger

 3.3 Matters arising out of Minutes of 23rd August  2016:

 

4.      Finance.

4.1   Dot Knorr : Grass seed sales for 2015 -  R1860.00 and up to date for 2016 - R3080.00.  These amounts, are all profit.

4.2   New Signatories plus EFT authorising meeting with bank.

Mr Stuart Long, Mrs. Dot Knorr and Sanet Bruins-Lich made and appointment with the bank and signatories were done.  Keith Knorr enquired about proof of payment done on EFT.  Sanet mentioned that the first EFT was done i.e. donation to Tom Esterhuizen for medical help.

 

Stuart Long will purchase protective clothing to be used when the chainsaw is in use.

 

 

 

 

5.         Membership.

            Dot Knorr mentioned that there wasn’t a lot of movement during the past month.

 

6.         Alien Plants.

            Derrick Bruins-Lich, Stuart Long, Keith Knorr and Linda Benade attended and they found it

to be a follow up of last years talk. 

Derrick mentioned that Terence Porter did a course on Alien plants through the Nkomazi

Municipality.

      

7.        Gruispan.

      7.1 Borehole

            The Chairman explained the situation to the meeting and mentioned that they would have a

            meeting with the Contractor to sort out the account for the pump during this meeting.

     Errol Potgieter mentioned that he would add more money onto the meter.  Gruispan is

     Looking good and the Ludwigia Stolonifera on the water are eaten by the bushbuck and

     warthogs.   

     Stuart Long mentioned that the trees at Gruispan were watered 

     

     7.2  Feeding

            Collection of sweet potatoes was stopped until the passive capture of the rest of the

            animals is carried out.

 

8.                     Sickle bush Thinning.

            Nothing to report on this item.  Members and non-members who would like to take out

            Sickle bush can contact Derrick Bruins-Lich at 0826870530 for a quotation on this matter.

 

9.                     Grass Seed Sales.

`           The Chairman mentioned that the grass seed arrived and thanked Marilyn Dowie and her

son Denzel who brought the seed from Johannesburg.   Grass seed is selling for R20-00 for

            100gram at the Marlothii Shopping Centre or Derrick can be contacted at 0826870530.

 

10.        Report back on Nature walk – 17th September  2016

             10 people attended this walk.   Keith Knorr discussed the difference between ants and

 termites.  The next walk will take place on15th October 2016  at 6 o’clock at Henk van

 Rooyen Park.

           

11.        General.

     11.1 Report back on Forum Meeting –  6th September 2016.

              Not much to report back on except that the members of the Forum were asked to spread

              the word to stop feeding the animals so that the passive capture can get underway.

              Conservancy stopped the collection of sweet potatoes and will spread bags of pellets again

              once capture is complete.

     

     11.2 Tree Tags.

              Keith Knorr produced a sample of a tree tag which should be acceptable for Marloth Park.

              He mentioned that the plastic tree tag was R45-00 and the aluminium was R42.00 per tag.

              A work party will identify trees along Olifants, when done the tags will be put up.

 

      11.3 Rhinos in Lionspruit.

              The Rhinos are doing good and are looking better.

              

      11.4  Protective Clothing.

   Stuart Long will purchase protective clothing to be used when the chainsaw is in use the

   next time he is in Nelspruit.

 

 

      11.5 Business Cards.

               Sanet explained the purpose of a business card for the Committee.  All agreed on the tag

               Thea Sander designed.  Keith will laminated them.

               Stuart enquired about a name tag that clips on for walking around the bush.  Sanet

               mentioned that she had a few of those at home.

 

     11.6   Web Site and Facebook

               Sanet Bruins-Lich and Thea Sander went to see Andrew Hudson and he was quite

               prepared to show the two ladies how to add items and mentioned that if we need to do

               anything difficult, he would help us as well.   Marlothii Conservancy website will be

               active soon.  Marlothii Conservancy would also like to thank Andrew Hudson for his

               help.

 

     11.7    Meet and Greet

                Errol Potgieter mentioned that he will no longer be able to handle this portfolio as he

                goes in to the KNP most of the time. On a question whether he had received his KNP

                Honorary Ranger Lapels he confirmed that he had received them. 

 

     11.8     Xmas Fair

                 Enquiries will be made regarding a date and a place will be booked in time.

 

Mr.  M. Fennell mentioned that the capture permits could have been posted and the figures explained as it differed from the figures which was mentioned at the Mppoa meeting.  It was very confusing. 

 

Errol Potgieter questioned the legality of all the signs in the vicinity of gate 2. Derrick Bruins-Lich will take this matter to the Forum meeting.

 

 

With no further business to discuss the meeting closed at 10h27.

 

 

The Next Conservancy meeting will take place at 09h00 on the 25 October 2016

Comments (0)

500 characters remaining

Cancel or

Top f